Saturday, December 23, 2023

I Don't Trust My Car Anymore

So the lights go up because it needs an oil change, one the car didn't say I needed.  But the mechanic said that once they changed the oil, the lights stayed off.  So there's that.

The really fucking adventure began not after I picked it up yesterday/Friday morning, after which I drove it to work, but once I got cut from work early.  First, the low tire pressure light came back on.  I was able to drive to the bank, where I wanted to go.  I checked the tires and none of them seemed low.  A few years ago that same light came on inexplicably, and I used my tire pressure gauge to confirm that none of the tires were low, so, after calling the car shop again, it's possible that indicator light sensor has a dead battery.  There's a button turn off that indicator light, and I pressed it.

But once I got back on the road, I started to, at first, hear a rhythmic thumping coming from the back of the car.  And then I felt a massive knocking back there.  It only got worse the faster and more I drove.  It got so bad that I immediately drove back to the car shop to figure out what the hell was going on.

They figured out that it was something that puzzled me about this car once before: The corrosion on the wheels grinded against the newly-rotated tires.  Someone had to chisel away the corrosion, but now it's driving fine and, thankfully, quieter.  I remembered that the first time I drove away from the previous shop I took my car to, there was a loud clacking noise too, only that time it happened when I applied the brakes, not the gas pedal.  Still, rust was the problem then, and that had to be cleaned out.

It ain't great that I have to immediately bring my car back to the shop the same day I picked it up, and I have now done this twice for this car.  I don't necessarily blame my car for that, even though there's something about my car or this model accumulating such harsh corrosion that it appears that sanding that off looks like it needs to happen before every tire rotation.  But I am starting to blame my car for all the other shit that keeps happening.  Stuff like not telling me that the oil could use a change until the dashboard lights came on all at once.  Like being so goddamn sensitive that losing a quart of oil and not having it changed after 7,000 miles now makes things go all haywire.  And like scaring the absolute fucking life out of me as I was trying to drive the car back to the mechanic even though the back end of it was shaking so fucking much.  There are fewer things in life scarier than driving a car that suddenly decided to stop working.

I could go on and on about how I no longer trust my car, but 1) I'm tired, 2) I'm still way too emotional from the trauma I felt driving my jalopy, and 3) my thoughts are all over the place, so I think it makes sense to just leave it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment