Friday, December 15, 2023

You Know, Maybe I Drink Too Much

Went to the newest, hottest hidden bar (which isn't really hidden since they have stickers of their name up on the bollards just outside its door) after two previously unsuccessful tries because there was a huge line and I didn't want to wait.  I'm glad I finally went on a Thursday and got there by 6; in about 45 minutes' time, it was just about full.  It was as awesome as it was in its previous incarnation -- people enjoying drinks and having fun with friends.  And I was having fun on my own enjoying drinks.

I usually get two whenever I go out.  But one of the bartender well faucets broke off and sprayed a few people sitting at the bar area with water, including me, so I got our drinks comped.  (I like this place even more now.)  A guy who eventually sat next to me at the bar started chatting me up.  I was at first scared that he was hitting on me and would eventually try and take me to his home, strangle me and cut me up like Jeffrey Dahmer, but he was a good guy.  In fact, he offered to buy me a third drink.  So, with a massive, massive discount on my credit card and having such good fortune and bonhomie emanating all around the place, I got a third drink.  It was a Korean rice beer that I heard you can't get just anywhere.  I don't know if I like it; it has the consistency of skim milk and I'm still trying compare it to familiar tastes.  But again, it was free, so who am I to complain?

With three drinks in me, I made it home OK.  Helps that I took a brisk walk around the North Loop and then bought a few things from Target.  But I got home, felt tired, and immediately fell asleep with the presumption that I would not wake up till morning.  However I did wake up, and I woke up with a pretty sizable headache.  And this is not the first time I have woken up from a nap or sleep with a pretty sizable headache after drinking at a speakeasy or hidden bar.

Headaches frequently happen when you're hung over, and they're not pleasant.  It may be just part of the deal when you're drinking and having fun.  But at least right now, right this very second, all the memories of feeling bad after drinking are flooding my mind.  This is not good.  So maybe, just maybe, I should cut back on my drinking.  There won't be any headaches, and for all I know, I might start to lose weight, too.

With that being said, guess what I'm drinking as I compose this blog post?  Wine left over from ****e* as she cleaned the house.  Wouldn't want it to go to waste, so why not drink a glass while hung over, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment