Friday, December 8, 2023

Plotting My Speakeasy Sojourns

I spend a lot of time daydreaming about things: How to get my revenge against people who did me wrong, fucking all my stripper girlfriends, and what to eat and on what days.  I know I spend a lot of time brainstorming the first two things, but only recently have I realized how much thought I expend on the third.  Turns out eating out is that important to me.

A subset of that obsession is going to speakeasys.  Man, I've gotten to be a fucking drinker as an adult.  Never drank in high school, didn't drink much in college beyond a glass of wine or two.  Once I grew up, though?  Man.  And I think that has accelerated since the pandemic ended ... and since I read an article about the early days of Volstead's, the new place with the clandestine directions to its front door.  I fell in love with the mystery of the speakeasy, and the thought that I know something other people do not.  It makes me feel cool, to be honest.

Since then, there have been a few others that have popped up -- Young Joni, Sooki and Mimi (now Bronto Bar), Cobble House, Flora Room, etc.  And I try to go to them as often as I can.  My initial excuse was that I needed a wind-me-down after a hellish day at The Fourth Department at work.  Since work in that position isn't so arduous -- and since I can't wind up my day at a speakeasy since most of them are not open Monday through Wednesday, the days where I now work The Fourth Department -- I don't have that excuse.  But I've come up with one for right now: The holiday season.  Because of that, I am trying to parcel out going to one of these bars once a week up to Christmas.  I might have to double up depending on other things I want to do.  But right now I am mentally trying to put the puzzle pieces together.  It's exhausting in an exciting way, if that makes any sense.

There is another wrinkle to all this: Just before I left work for the day yesterday/Thursday I checked my work calendar, and my boss has put me in The Fourth Department every day the week before Christmas.  Ah, just like old times, where I dreaded being stuck back there and leaving late every day, and thus my belief that I deserved to drink at a speakeasy was born!  Even though I only hit a speakeasy on a Friday of a week where I worked in The Fourth Department, I kind of wonder if I could hit more than one that week because, and I might lose you here, I am feeling kind of festive, and maybe I want to go out every night of the week before Christmas.  I'm still thinking about it -- whether I want to go speakeasy-hopping and, if so, which one on which day.  And the gears in my mind continue to turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment