Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Blows To The Back Of The Head? Not A Good Thing

Ever since I saw The Hunger Games prequel a couple weeks ago (by the way, excellent movie -- The Hunger Games series has always excelled in exploring the idea of putting on a show and cultivating narratives, and how people plot what they want the world to see when their reality is a lot messier and sinister, and also, Rachel Zegler can fucking sing), I've been obsessed with blows to the back of the head.  We're really vulnerable back there, you know.  Our skulls are pretty thick, but every time I see a movie involving a killing, whether it be a blow or, in The Ballad Of Songbirds & Snakes, a fall from a high place (poor guy), it's always to or on the back of the head.  We don't have eyes back there, so we don't know what's coming.  And if you've got a heavy object or a bullet that can shatter the skull, boy, you're dunzo.

I just looked up "safety helmets" on Google.  The results that come back feature helmets for the elderly to protect against falls.  I am looking for helmets that protect against falls in the workplace or, say, while you're on a ladder doing work around the house.  Or for, say, walking around slippery ground, which it is around here after the light dusting of snow we just had.  If I fall backward and hit my head ... well, I'm old now, and I don't know if I can come back from a blow to the back of the head like I used to.  That's why I sometimes wonder if I should shell out for a safety helmet -- for work, of course.  Or for winter.  Or both.

That's all I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment