Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Welcome To Limbo Week

This year, probably more than any year before, I am jealous of people who have this week -- the last week of the year, the one between Christmas and New Year's -- off as a matter of course.  What jobs do they have, and are they hiring?  Because it has always been kind of a waste to go in and work.  If there are enough people not working the week, there probably isn't enough work for other people to go into work and work, you know?  (Having said that, I worked till 6 o'clock yesterday/Tuesday, so maybe I am the exception.)

Limbo Week is affecting me in other ways.  I am dependent on calling other places for missing information, and yesterday/Tuesday I received several automated, on-vacation e-mails.  Time is of the essence in my line of work, so not getting any replies for a week is going to screw some things up.  On the bright side, there were less cars on the road yesterday/Tuesday morning because of those of you who don't need to work this week, which should make my morning commute easier and faster.

Went to see Aquaman 2 last/Tuesday night.  (Not a bad movie, but much of the movie was banter between the two leads who are brothers, and that could've been a lot more clever.)  I came in after the announced showtime because of trailers.  What I forget was that kids don't have school Limbo Week, and so families were out at the movies -- including the three big ones who were in front of me at the concession stands.  And they weren't budging.  I was about to miss the start of the movie, and I don't want to do my OCD thing whereby I pay a second time to make sure I see the start of the film, so I left the line and just went into the screen to watch.  This is a broke-down theater, and it has been understaffed ever since the pandemic, and even before then.  I bought a ticket through Atom for which I got a massive discount through T-Mobile Tuesdays (thanks, T-Mobile!).  I needed to scan the ticket, but I wasn't going to wait for these stupid groups in front of me to decide what they want to eat for the film they wanted to see.  So I just headed in.  I figured that if someone was going to stop me, I would show them my phone and the electronic ticket I bought online and just say I didn't want to wait.  Got in, at most, two minutes before Aquaman 2 started (which was about 20 minutes after its advertised showtime of 6:50).  I made the right decision.

Finally, Limbo Week is also College Football Bowl Week, and my alma mater is playing tonight/Wednesday night.  I, as organizer of our Game-watching parties, had to go downtown Minneapolis last/Tuesday night to make sure our bar is cool with us watching there the next evening.  Limbo Week is the only week I would need to make sure a large group of people can watch a bowl Game, and I would specifically have to go this place on back-to-back days.  If this were next week, I would, or could, be going straight home.

Yes, Limbo Week is kind of weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment