Friday, December 15, 2023

Did I Really Need This Day Off?

I woke up at noon, went to Lindey's, realized I didn't have my wallet with me, went home, came back to Lindey's and ate, decided not to go to Diamonds to work on my receipts, then opted to go back home and nap.  So in that sense, yes, I needed the day off.

What I mean is that I may have blown the math when it comes to paid time off at work.  We are able to carry over up to 40 hours past every calendar year (besides the COVID years, but we don't need to get into that).  Any more than 40 you just lose.  So there is usually a scramble for everyone who are diligent company people to find days in December to take off while still having a credible workface to take care of the work each day.

I thought I did the match right back in early November, whereby I had, like, three days (technically less than 24 hours, but right now I am not in the mood for taking half-days off) I needed to take off.  One of them actually was the last Monday in November, which turned out to be a day where I did work Monday Night Football after all.  I then had an appointment with the local utility to change my smart meter, but that person could only come Thursday the 14th, or yesterday, so I decided to take that day off and, because it sucks to have one day off mid-week only to come back the next day, I decided to take Friday, or today, off as well.

Now even with these back-to-back days off, I thought that I had cleared just enough to get below 40 hours.  But as I was checking to make sure that I didn't somehow still have more than 40, I saw that I was, in fact, below 32.  In other words, I could have opted to work, say, today/Friday instead of taking it off and I would still carry less than 40 hours into 2024.  It's obviously too late, but that bothers me.  My OCD is making me feel as if I have taken too much time off.  Moreover, I hate that either I blew the math or that I was somehow misled by the HR software into taking off more time than I needed to.

Now, again, if I knew this before today, would I have taken today off, especially considering that I slept a full eight hours overnight, something I rarely do?  Well ... (shrug)

No comments:

Post a Comment