Sunday, January 14, 2018

Being Useful For My Parents

So I get the news that my folks are leaving for their trip not Saturday morning, not Sunday morning, but Monday morning.  Which means that I have a full weekend with these guys before they leave.

That ain't the worst thing, I guess.  Father, somehow, fixed the leaks enough whereby I think it's safe to leave open.  (Seriously, Father, just a clamp?)  But one thing that struck me about them still being here even though they're not going to be here, if you know what I mean.

After Father showed me what parts of the pipes not to touch and asking for directions in Florida (they're spending a few days there), Mother asked me, again, an inane question about one of the bills I paid for her while they were away.  She then said that she'll give me a ledger with which to write down all those transactions.

My God.  My fucking God.  This is a woman who, when I pay one of their bills, has me write down the date of the payment, the total of the payment, and the confirmation number of the payment on the statement.  I have to write down the total even though the goddamn total's on the statement itself.  And all three of these things will show up on the monthly statement that's sent to the house, not to mention would immediately be available if one pulls up the statement online.

This just feels like more goddamn unnecessary paperwork.  Why am I writing this down?  Why?  It's not like Mother's fucking gonna see it.  But because I'm living under their roof, I have to do this.

And I have this extremely bad feeling that I'll be spending a fucking hour each night updating this shit ledger.  And I thought after Mother said this incredibly stupid thing, "How am I going to have time to do this?  If I were back in school, I would have no time to study because I have to write all this shit down every fucking day?!"  And then I thought ... "Wait -- maybe she's thinking that since I in fact am not in school, I indeed would have time to write all this stupid shit down every fucking day."

Could that be Mother's thinking?  That since I have ostensibly nothing else to do, she thinks I have time to do this?  I sure as hell don't want to be my parents' accountant, but it may be that she wants this done and she sees that I have the time to do it, so like two puzzle pieces that fit, it would be perfect for me to do this.  Which is fucking ridiculous, and yet would make sense (if you go down the rabbit hole) at the same time.

So if I go back to school, does this mean I don't have to do this ledger?  'Cause right now, if that's the implicit deal, I'd so take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment