Sunday, January 21, 2018

NFC Conference Championship Prediction: Eagles 16, Vikings 10 (OT)

It's been so nice to see every building and person wearing purple.  I was just at the Timberwolves game and a few people started the Skol Chant, and every time they started, the entire crowd joined in to clap hands.

It'll suck so bad, then, after the Vikes lose.

Guys, I appreciate the sentiment and the solidarity.  But this wave of good feeling, something I haven't seen in such unanimity in past years when the team was in the playoffs, is spurred in part by the Minneapolis Miracle.  This team has screwed up so much that they haven't earned anything except doubt and skepticism.  I know the players had nothing to do with the franchise's sorry history, but the fans remember getting burned time and again.

And yet, because of Keenum-to-Diggs, a piece of good fortune that I cannot remember this organization ever receiving, I think Vikings fans have deluded themselves into thinking that God has topped punishing us and now is The Time -- especially because the Super Bowl is being played here.  Hey, I wish it were true.  If the Vikings win tomorrow, regardless of whether they win or lose SBLII, the two-week anticipation surrounding being the first team to be able to play that game in their home stadium would be nothing like this town has seen before.

However, I think the Philadelphia Eagles have the better Offensive Line and the less banged-up Defense.  Plus they have home-field advantage, which isn't everything, but is not nothing, either.  Finally, for God's sake, you have to remind yourself that THESE ARE THE VIKINGS.  They always break your heart.  And I think it's safe to assume that they'll do it again, and embarrassingly so, like 41-0 bad.

I hope I'm wrong.  But I don't think I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment