Friday, January 19, 2018

Oh, The Third Impression Was Even Worse

You know, I don't like to get caught looking at the Internet while working.  But I should remember that I'm starting a brand-new position, with people I don't necessarily know will tolerate stuff like that.  It's worse to be caught looking at the Internet when your contact at the temp agency sees you too.

Such was the case after I got back from sleeping in my car yesterday/Thursday afternoon.  I was expecting my contact with the temp agency to come in the morning, as past members with reps dropping into my place of work have done in the past.  I had everything planned out; I stored coffee in my mug to drink in the afternoon, and the mocha she brought for me (as a treat) would be something to enjoy in the morning.

But as the hours wore on I didn't see her.  I contacted someone at the agency as was assured that she was coming.  I shrugged and headed off to my car to take a nap.  Got back, and not really five, ten minutes after sitting down, popping my headphones back into my ears, and scrolling through the Internet windows to get back to the page where I was listening to sports-talk radio where I sort-of heard a knock from behind me (damn, I need to get a mirror).  And there they were, my supervisor and the temp contact, the latter with a splashed mocha in her hand to give to me, even though I had another hot coffee waiting for me.

As I turned around and froze, I had to stop where no work was displayed on my computer.  It was the home page for the stream of the sports-talk show I was listening to.  And it bothered me and humiliated me to no end that, when the two took turns to make small talk with me -- "How's the job going?  Do you have any questions?" -- I could see that their eyes went from looking right at me to looking above my head and probably seeing the home page of, like, hot NFL cheerleaders scrolling by.  I could not have made a worse impression at that moment if I farted loud enough for the whole floor to hear.

There were a couple times during yesterday my supe caught me actually doing work.  And maybe she's chill.  Or maybe, when they excused themselves to go have a talk, they went, "Oh, did you see those naked women on that Internet page he wasn't supposed to open?  Yeah, we're just gonna have to fire him tomorrow," and I'll be canned.  I should gird myself for that possibility.

And BTW, the coffee I poured for myself yesterday morning is still in my mug.  If I remember in the morning, I'm going to pour it out into the Starbucks mocha cup my temp contact gave me, and re-pour myself actual hot coffee.  That hot coffee I hope to drink this (Friday) afternoon ... hopefully before security drags me out of the office after they fire me for surfing the Internet while at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment