Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Now BOTH Of The Cars Have Problems, Maybe

Last night I used the old car to go to the coffeeshop.  Looking down at the dash I see the tachometer was barely above 1,000 rpms and I'm thinking, "Well, I'm coasting -- not revving the engine is a good thing, right?"  And then I accelerated and looked back down and the needle wasn't moving on that meter at all.  That's when it hit me -- the tachometer's broken.

The Internet says try the fuse first.  Then, it'll be a wire.  I'm guessing it's a minor thing compared to, say, the thermostat needle, but it's yet another thing in the old car that's broken.

Meanwhile, this has been bothering me about the new car: I am noticing that there is a longer gap of time between the time I push the ignition button and the moment the car engine starts.  I'm getting paranoid about this: When I first got the car, did the car start immediately once I pressed the button?  Is this pause because of the cold weather?  Is it the fucking starter?  Could something else in the ignition system be broken now?  The car drives fine (well, it drives OK) after I start it, but it's the starting that I'm getting paranoid over.  And now I'm getting the feeling that I just got a lemon.  I know that the model is generally lauded for its reliability, but goddammit, it ain't this car.

Maybe this is all going to my head.  But maybe this shit is for real.  My parents are leaving soon, and I could be saddled with not one but two vehicles that don't work, for God's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment