Saturday, November 9, 2019

Father Looks Like Sluggo

So one night I went to knock on the master bedroom to let my parents know I was going to work out.  I open the door, let them know, and they say yes.

But then I stop.  From the door, Mother is on the left side of the king-sized bed and Father the right.  Usually when I say I'm heading out for the night, Father is under the covers watching TV.  And he was on this night.  But as I made my quick glance towards Mother and then Father, I lingered on Father for just a second, and then something latched onto my eyes so I couldn't look away.

And then I looked -- like actually looked -- at Father. There was something wrong with him, or at least off.  And then I realized: He had nearly all his hair cut off.  Like, I could see his scalp, his skin.  On top of his head.  He looks like Sluggo.

So apparently while I was taking my post-dinner nap (I've been doing it more since the weather started to turn colder), they went out to get his hair cut -- and he got all of it cut.  It was a buzzcut, something similar to what I get.  But I rarely, if ever, get it shorn to the stubs Father got it to.

This is an understatement: I have never seen him in such a hairstyle.  All my life his hair has been at a length.  Maybe it gets short to the point where I notice that he had it cut, and sometimes it got a little shaggy, but I have seen Father with a certain ... uh, amount of hair on his head.  It was one of things I took for granted -- and good, because I didn't have to ever spend any amount of brainpower processing the thought of seeing Father differently.

But now I do.  Well, it does help that he has been wearing his hat more nowadays -- probably due to the colder weather, but maybe he's wearing it because what he did is shocking the hell out of me.  I just wonder why.  Maybe he was sort of thinking the way I think when my hair gets too long.  It gets in the way, and I have to stay awake longer and longer the more hair I have, and I get to a point where I say, "Screw it, I'm getting it all shaved off."  Don't know why he decided to do for the first time in my lifetime in his seventies, though.  Maybe I should just let him be; it's just hair, after all, and maybe he just decided he wanted to something different.

Or, maybe he's sick.  I used the old car the other night (not this night when I saw Father's nearly bald head) and I saw a few facemasks slid in the middle console.  If something's really wrong with him, Father would tell me.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment