Monday, November 11, 2019

Where I Hate That I Can't Put 2 + 2 Together

Today is Veteran's Day.

About a year ago, my parents insisted on taking me to the banks because they wanted my name on their safe deposit boxes, in case they needed me to access them.  But -- have I talked about this already? -- when I gave the banker my driver's license, she noticed that my last name did not align with my parents'.  Well, it did, but it wasn't in the right order.  Somehow, my last name was put before my middle name.  Actually I had noticed it before.  Years, in fact.  I didn't think it would be an issue.  Well, until my parents wanted my name on their deposit boxes.

Today is Veteran's Day.

I got pissy with my folks at the time.  Having a license plate with my name looking like that didn't hurt me none, but they forced me to go to the DMV, with my birth certificate, to get the state to change it.  And they -- seriously, I thought about I blogged about this already -- actually made the same mistake again before they fixed it.  I got my new license with my names in the right order earlier this year, but it felt as though I had to wait a long time to get my new license and then my new, correct license.

Today is Veteran's Day.

With my parents wintering, and with me remembering their insistence that I get my driver's license fixed, I was going to make sure that the crap I had to go through was worth it.  So I insisted that we go to the banks to finally get the name on their boxes fixed.  (There are actually two deposit boxes we went to, and I'm sure that my name is "wrong" on both of them.)  I have Mondays off.

Today is Veteran's Day.

I actually was called into work today, but I still had the morning off.  So I thought this morning was the perfect time to go to the bank to get my name changed (even though, and I'm sorry for throwing in impertinent information, they told me we were going to a third bank to add my name to a safe deposit box they have there ... so what about the other two boxes?).

Today is Veteran's Day.

My alarm woke me up.  In a half-hour we were going.  To the bank, like I wanted to.

Today is Veteran's Day.

We get to the bank.

Today is Veteran's Day.

It was totally empty.

Today is Veteran's Day.

We were all, "What the fuck?!  Why are they closed?!"

Why?  BECAUSE TODAY IS VETERAN'S DAY!  I KNEW IT WAS VETERAN'S DAY SEVERAL DAYS BEFORE TODAY!  I KNEW TODAY IS VETERAN'S DAY, AND I KNEW THAT I WANTED TO GO TO THE BANK TODAY, BUT I DIDN'T FIGURE THAT I CAN'T GO TO THE BANK TODAY BECAUSE TODAY IS VETERAN'S DAY!  I KNEW OF ONE FACT, I KNEW OF A SECOND FACT, BUT IT DIDN'T OCCUR TO ME TO PUT THOSE TWO FACTS TOGETHER TO UNDERSTAND THAT I COULDN'T DO WHAT I WANTED TO DO!  BECAUSE I'M NOT AS SMART AS I SHOULD BE, OR COULD BE, OR WANT TO BE, OR NEED TO BE.

Goddamn I hate myself right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment