Tuesday, November 26, 2019

No Movie -- Winter Has Come

This impending blizzard (they're saying 9-to-twelve inches -- the first Minnesota snowstorm should never be this heavy or bad) could not have come at a worse time of day/night, or day of the week.  (I probably say that about the first snowstorm every winter, but I feel it now.)  Never mind it coming just at the start of The Busiest Travel Day In America; at least I'm not driving or flying anywhere to see family, because it looks as though I wouldn't be able to make it there if I had to.

Moreover, even though it appears to be starting right now, the heaviest of this storm is going to fall overnight -- while I'm sleeping and just before I have to drive to work.  That means that not only will I have to wake up early and shovel my way out of my driveway (and try to avoid a heart attack while I'm at it), chances are I won't have the opportunity to make a dent into this storm by shoveling in the evening, before I go to bed, because there may not be any snow to shovel.  The worst of both worlds.

And the uncertainty over the beginning of this blizzard fucked me up, too.  I really, really wanted to see a movie before the advent of the storm hit.  But I didn't know when it was going to hit.  If it were later in the evening, I definitely would have seen a movie.  If it started in the afternoon, my commute would have been hell, but there would have been no doubt I needed to get home.  But the forecasts finally told me it was going to start late afternoon/early evening.  On top of that, I had two films from which to choose, both of which had logistical hangups.  I could go see Parasite, but that started 90 minutes after I got out of work and I didn't want to dink around town before seeing it, or The Irishman, which is supposed to be 3 1/2 fucking hours long, and while I love Scorsese, I don't know if I could sit through a movie that long.  And both films had the complication of being done after 7, which is the time most of the forecasts I saw predicted the storm would begin, and which would force me to miss The Conners, which is a TV show I am starting to watch religiously.

Finally, I decided to skip it.  I could just imagine myself not paying attention to whichever flick I decided because I was worried I would be driving home in the driving snow.  Instead I did the following:

  • Ate Happy Hour Arby's;
  • Moved up my Thanksgiving Eve tradition of being a turkey footlong at Subway; I'll be digging out my house instead of going out to eat tomorrow;
  • Got the lottery tickets Father wants;
  • Topped off the coolant tank in the old car;
  • And made sure the garage door worked -- and it didn't, so I had to open it up manually, but then it wouldn't close and the remote wouldn't work, until it did, and that took a goddamn hour.
And as it so happens I looked out the window and saw a sprinkling of the white stuff on the deck.  I made the right decision.  Staying in Minnesota for the winter?  Right now I'm thinking I made the wrong fucking decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment