Monday, October 9, 2023

I Just Went Through Fucking iPhone Update Hell

I spent about the past, oh, 90 minutes to two hours trying to update my iPhone but then needing to restore my iPhone after I got that dreaded goddamn "plug phone into your computer" screen.  I got obsessed with updating to the latest software (it was like a week after another fucking update -- really, Apple, the hackers are forcing you to make weekly updates now?), which led me to deleting a couple more of my apps (I erased a few for the previous update -- you know, I was going to blog post about the bullshit I went through for the previous update, but I never had the time to sit down for it so I just mentally kicked the can down the road) and then, after that didn't work, I thought I could just hook up my phone to iTunes on my laptop to update it.  But then something really, really bad happened and that's when I got that fucking "plug phone into your computer" screen.

I thought my phone was a goner.  I thought I would have to have one of those "Geniuses" at the Apple Store help me.  But I tried to update it again, and then back up my phone, and then finally restore my phone.  I don't know if I needed to just put my laptop level, plug it into an outlet so it was running on the house's power, or be very, very careful with the plug into my iPhone (that goddamn thing is making me crazy -- have I blog posted about that yet?), but on the third or fourth try, I got my phone unstuck.  I had to restore it, then back it up with everything I thankfully uploaded onto my lap before all this bullshit started.  I also had to guess the password to begin the restore, a password which is different from the iTunes password, and I was totally fucking guessing what that password was.  If I didn't guess right -- my God, I would have wiped whole phone clean, and I would have no idea how or even if I could get all the apps and phone numbers back into my iPhone.

But after a long goddamn while and re-doing my Face ID and putting in my credit cards, it looks as if my iPhone is where it was -- and it got updated to the latest software, too.  My long (if you want to say 90-120 minutes of looking at my cellphone praying it didn't die on you) national nightmare over losing my cell is over.  I would've been so lost without the use of my phone.  It's my lifeline to my family, my alarm clock, my security blanket in case I get stuck on the highway.  But I don't have to worry about that -- at least not until the next fucking update.

No comments:

Post a Comment