Sunday, October 1, 2023

No, I Will Not Turn On The Air Conditioning

I remembered back in the spring when it began getting hot and Father refused to turn on the AC.  It isn't necessary ... use fans ... AC takes a lot money.  I resented him for putting me through such torture until it got too hot even for him, and he relented.

Well, damn, I have turned into my old man, because the Twin Cities reached a high of 92 degrees today, breaking the daily record.  I made a mistake of keeping my bedroom window open from the overnight, when the humidity was tolerable so long as I kept my fan on.  My bedroom faces the sun at the hottest part of the day, so once I went back into my bedroom from the kitchen in the mid-afternoon, it was baking, even with the curtains closed.  It's Hell's Kitchen in here, no lie.

And yet ... no, dammit, I will not turn the air conditioning on.  It isn't necessary ... I'll use the fan ... air conditioning takes a lot of money.  Yes, my calculus changes if I'm the one now paying for utilities.  I planned on going out to the community center to exercise today, and maybe I should go out there because it's cooler out there.  Once it gets dark I'll hope and pray I can still resist turning on the AC.

It'll remain this hot till Tuesday.  After a storm moves in, it'll get cold enough that we'll need to use the furnace by next weekend, actually.  And I'll still hold off on using that because it's not necessary ... I'll wear more clothes ... the heater takes a lot of money. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment