Wednesday, October 4, 2023

The Last Of The Food I Bought For Work

Partly because of the food Father has forced me to take with me to work, I have now been conditioned to eat at work.  When they initially wintered in Las Vegas, I was OK, and in fact grateful, not to eat food that I didn't want to eat.  But now that I have gotten used to eating during the day, I have to have something -- maybe not the banana and the peanut butter sandwich and the other Chinese stuff he seems to pack for me as if I'm going off to war, but something little.

Last winter, when they were away and once I got through all of the perishable food they left for me, I was craving food again.  But just something small, so I bought a huge variety pack of granola bars.  I think I timed it so that by the time I got finished with them, my parents would be back.  But work has this thing where we get praised for the good things we do at work by getting showered with candy bars, so I interspersed those with the granola bars.  And then a co-worker gave me this huge canister of European candy bars.  They were so filling that I could only eat a few of them every break.

Add those all up, and by the time my parents came home, I still had a ton of food stashed in my cubby hole (every employee is given either a locker or a filing drawer in which to put our stuff).  Now, my parents came home in March, so I had food to bring with me from then until about Labor Weekend.  So all that food I saved I saved basically for half a year.

Yesterday/Tuesday at work, I got done with the last of them, the final granola bar.  I think those granola bars and those European bars and those candy bars all would have been fresher six months ago, but they were edible.  But now that they're gone, could I just go without?  No.  I went to Target last night and bought more bars.  I think I'll need more reinforcements in a month or so.  Eating something quick at work is now something permanent, for better and/or for worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment