Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Time Off Or No Time Off

I am torn about taking time off.  Not the concept; of course in any job if something comes out or if you just need a break, you should take some time off.

With that being said,  I am taking time off because of the Twins.  They've made the playoffs, which means that they're going to playing Games at home, which means the production companies I have worked for in the past have put out calls for more work.  If you follow and understand which networks are broadcasting which stages of the postseason, you would see that one production company is (or was) asking for help for the Wild Card Series which starts today and could last through Thursday.  Another company is stepping in to do the rest of the playoffs ... so long as the Twins make it that far.

And therein lies the rub.  The overarching variable is the Twins, of course -- will they advance in the playoffs or not?  After thinking about it, I decided to save my powder, so to speak, and not help out the production that is doing the Wild Card Series.  They wanted someone who could've started Sunday, by the way, so I would've had to use up to four days.  But if they advance, the production crew doing the Division Series and beyond is the same company I have been working with for a quarter-century now.  I think it behooves me to at least help them out.  Unfortunately, the dates they need me are still up in the air.  I mean, I know the Game Days.  But if they need me to work, say, a Set Day, which is a day before a Day the Twins would play, I don't know if I can help them out.  The last-minute suddenness of asking for time off is something I really don't like and really don't want to bother both my boss and the people who would need to fill in for me.  But, well, that's the playoffs, right?  And besides, I told my boss that "my other job" takes priority.  I will work for them if the need arises because it's my field.  And it's happening now.

With that being said, if the Twins lose this Series, all of this is moot.  But, well, I need to put in time off for next week, and if I have to pull that back and work instead, well ... I hope everyone deals.  I feel really bad about this, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment