Thursday, October 12, 2023

I Thought Walking Was Supposed To Be Good For You

So I worked the Twins Games the past two days.  The majority of my work came in the several hours before the actual Games, where I run this place to get that, etc.  Once the Games started (and this usually happens when I'm working as a gopher), I was largely left to my own devices.  And since I'm a bitch for sports and I live or die with all Twin Cities sports teams, I couldn't bring myself to watch.  I hung outside for most of both Games -- partly because I didn't want to catch COVID, but mostly because I couldn't bear to watch the Twins lose and get eliminated.  Which they did last night.

But there isn't a whole lot to do.  There usually isn't in jobs like this, but moreso when everybody to whom you would need to get something is preoccupied with doing the Game.  So I just stayed outside ... and walked.  Well, more like paced back and forth while charging my phone, checking my News app and staying like hell away from Twitter.  There wasn't much to do beyond that, and besides, I needed to get my steps in.

But damn my knees and legs and feet and heels hurt right now!  That seems to happen whenever I am standing for long periods of time, but moreso now that I'm old as fuck.  I feel it most in my knees, and the possibility I'll lose walking function because of my knees frightens me.  Maybe it's my Doc Martens; they really weren't the most comfortable shoes to be on when I broke them in, and they're so old right now that they have got to have lost its natural cushion.

I'm reclining in my bed while blog posting this, of course, and the soreness in my legs is quite noticeable.  I hope that will abate with some sleep and sitting in a desk the next two days.  This is the price I pay for walking so much, I guess.  But if it hurts to walk, and if this eventually leads to (gulp) losing all mobility, what's all the walking for?  It can't be healthy if it damages my health, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment