Thursday, October 5, 2023

I Now Love What I Hated And Hate What I Loved

I have been in The Fourth Department, off and on, for months now.  It might even be a year.  But as I have gotten used to the work -- and accrued overtime in the process -- I have begun to exhale calmly through the stressful parts of the position -- OK, sorta -- and have grown to really like the intangibles with it, like being tucked away in a nondescript part of the building, enjoying the company of the people I am with, the ability to just stick my earbuds in and work, and, well, being left alone.  I think I do a good job there.  Not as if my boss has much of a choice, but I think I do a good job there.

But with my co-worker getting back from her leave, I am being moved again.  For today and Friday, I am in My Favorite Department.  This is a position I haven't worked in weeks, if not months.  And frankly, I don't know if I like it as much as I used to.  I think that's partly over my trepidation over not working there in some time, but off and on over these past few hours I've been dreading the worst part of that position.  Not to bore you with the details -- I actually can't remember them, to be quite honest -- but if something needs to be tested a second time, we have to draw up these documents that have all these details that we need to fill in, and that requires going through a few systems and programs, and we have to make sure we track wherever we go.  I've always hated that particular job, and thinking that I'll need to break up my notes to refresh my memory is not something I relish.

So a job that I once hated I ... well, kind of like, and the job I once liked I ... well, kind of don't like now.  Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment