Thursday, June 11, 2020

Product Review: Samsung UN22F5000

I've wanted to do this for a long time, and I think it's high time I do it.

I have had this Samsung 22-inch LED TV for ... half a decade now?  When my old cathode-ray television finally went kaput, it was time for me to get with the times, but high-definition TVs were still kind of expensive then.  Besides, even though everybody was going for as big of a television as could fit in their room, I wanted to be modest -- a small, unobtrusive, light and manageable TV was all I needed, especially for what I considered to be a starter LED.  I did my research and decided that shelling out this TV for ... I wanted to say more than $200? ... was the right choice.

I am happy with it.  It turns on just like that, which I love.  It's still going strong performance-wise.  I find only three things "wrong" with it:

  1. Some stations just don't come in.  I wish the Univision channel would; not being able to watch Liga MX Games on it is a pain.  Some others don't come through unless I move the antenna, or dangle it off the side of the dresser that and the TV are on.  But that's not the fault of the TV.
  2. There are so many bells and whistles with this TV I know I am using, like, 10 per cent of its capabilities.  I remember thumbing through the instructions to try and get the most out of it, but it was so think and had so many features I didn't understand that I forgot nearly everything I taught myself to do.  These LEDs are too complex.  Again, I'm "coping" just fine without them, but it would be nice to find the time to look at the manual to see if there's something else that would make my experience with the TV even better ... if I could find that instruction booklet.
  3. Probably the biggest bugaboo with the TV is the remote.  It has a curved bottom, making it natural to carry and use in the palm of your hand.  But I don't usually put it in my hand; I rest it on the dresser which is next to me on the bed.  When I'm watching TV, I want to completely relax, and that means I don't even have the energy to hold the remote control.  I lay it flat on the dresser and push down on the buttons when I want to change the channel ... well, I would if the remote didn't rock every time I did that.  So I would have to pick it up, cradle the thing in my hand, push the button, then set it back down on the dresser once I found a station.  Pain in the ass.  I mean, one can develop carpal tunnel if one keeps doing that.
Still, fat bullet points of drawbacks aside, I am very, very happy with this LED TV.  I recommend it -- if it is still available to be purchased, which I doubt it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment