Thursday, June 18, 2020

I Once Felt Happy At Work. Not Anymore.

I was shunted into What Once Was My Favorite Department for work the afternoon yesterday/Wednesday.  Whew -- it's always good to be in a secluded part of the building, with very few people hanging out back there, and no one walking behind you to catch you on the Internet.  Plus I feel like I can do a lot of the tasks I need to do, and I can do so without feeling as if someone is watching over my shoulder, both literally and figuratively.  I looked forward to it being a nice respite during the workweek.

But then my supervisor in the area gave me this checklist.  A checklist?  The hell?  And she started by saying I need to follow this every time I'm back at this department because last week, "Some things were missed."  Well, shit, some things are missed every time I go back there.  I have been upfront with her and my boss that there were some things that I need to work on and some things I flat-out did not know.  But compared to other departments I'm working in, this department was smooth sailing for me.  I certainly didn't think I need to hue to a checklist, that's for certain.

But I had to.  And, thus, I felt watched over, something I never have felt in this department before.  If I was to adhere to this checklist, I would have to literally follow every single item listed for me in there.  I was yoked to an assembly line when I didn't think there was one.  And I hate it, I do.  I had to ask my supervisor questions and for her help, two things I hate to do if I don't have to.  I now know that someone is figuratively watching over my shoulder.  And that has robbed me of a sense of security I had always felt I could nestle myself in to at work.  Plus -- and this looks like a bad sign -- I got bogged down with this checklist.  I felt more productive when I knew (or thought I knew) I had these tasks I knew how to do, and I could whip through them.  I now have to tread carefully or else I would skip a task on this damn checklist.  So I left work with a bunch of forms I didn't match up and some e-mails I couldn't get around to answering.

I understand I have not been perfect.  I could use some training and re-training, and I get around to some of that next week.  There is such a thing as "best practices" we should all strive for, I get that.  And my supervisor has been very helpful in leading me through things.  She's trying to help me while trying to do her job; I get that, too.  And yet I can't shake my ego.  I am not being left alone.  I feel as though I am being controlled unfairly.  And so that makes that part of the job no longer enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment