Friday, June 19, 2020

Wait -- Mowing What Lawn Now???

Got home from work just now.  Earlier than usually because I was filling in for someone who comes in and leaves a half-hour earlier than I usually do.

Second thing I hear as I burst in the door (the first thing was Mother saying, "You're home early!") was Father saying, "Oh!  You don't have to mow the lawn in Minneapolis tomorrow.  You can mow it next week."

Last weekend Father asked me to mow the lawn this weekend.  That sounded weird to me, planning to mow the front and back yards a week ahead.  But I appreciate the advanced planning.  I was hoping I would be able to dodge the raindrops and do it tomorrow morning.  But ... now I don't?

I looked outside; sure, the grass in the front yard isn't tall, but it could use a cut.  Maybe I'll have time to just fuck around this weekend, one which, as I was working this week, I was looking forward to as much as I have looked forward to a weekend, for some reason, in a long, long time.

But that's not what Father was talking about.  He kept saying mowing "Minneapolis."  You mean, like, the entire city??  Finally I understood what the hell he was talking about: This weekend he wanted me to mow both our lawn and the lawn at one of their properties, the about which they were bitching to me about last night.

Yeah, I can do that.  And again, thanks for letting me plan ahead.  But there is no way My Father told me last weekend that he wanted me to mow that property's lawn.  He did not make it clear last weekend.  I don't think he even said anything about mowing somewhere else.  And yet he was acting as if he told me this specifically.  He is either delusional or he is having difficulty with English again.  And I shudder to think if he still wanted me to mow there when I had no clue what he was talking about.  It would have blindsided me so fucking hard.  Goddamn language barrier. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment