Monday, June 1, 2020

Damn That Traffic Jam

One thing I have liked about the pandemic, and in particular the economic shutdown over the pandemic, is the decrease in traffic.  In the couple weeks before my hours were cut that shutdown began, and I noticed it in the lack of cars on the highway.  That helped me a lot, especially in the morning.  There is one right turn I need to make onto the street that marks the heavy traffic for morning rush, and if I don't get to the light before it turns red or before the cars on the cross-street stop making their lefts, I might be stuck there.  It can't be more than two Minutes, but it seems like 20.  And although I always try to find an empty spot I can turn and accelerate into, if I can't find it, my commute instantly becomes more aggravating.

There were no issues like that when I headed out in the morning to start my full day.  Coast was so clear, it nearly brought a tear to my eye.  And then my hours were cut and I started heading off at around 8 or 8:30 or 9 and ... even though I don't remember the last time my morning commute started then, there were even fewer cars on the road then.  So for the past two Months or so I have had no heart palpitations over being late for work.  (Well, I'm still late for work, but for the past couple Months it's because of me deciding to get and eat breakfast before getting to my company.)

I wonder if thing are going to go back to normal now.  I have to remember that two things changed: The cut in traffic because of the economic shutdown and the cut in my hours.  The latter may be restored, but the former may not be, at least not yet.  So, if I'm back to full-time but the rest of the state hasn't, that'll still be good for my commute.  But if not, and Minnesota is fully back to work?  Well, that short, quick, unimpeded drive to work in the morning was too good to last, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment