Monday, December 31, 2018

Farewell, 2018

I'm running kind of hot over a false accusation made to me by this prick bartender at My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Division), so I won't fully and accurately be able to say what I want to say because my head isn't clear.  Goddamn him.  Maybe I'll talk about it some other time.

But I still have to recognize that it is the last day of 2018.  Man, 2018.  That seemed so far away when I was a kid.  But we're going to be at 2020 very soon, and that seems like such a, you know, futuristic number.  We're hurtling into the future, and before you know it, we'll all be dead.

I think the year has been dominated by Donald Trump, the Republicans and their selfish ways of destroying the world.  I have felt, and been a part of, the world-wide anxiety and depression over knowing that truly evil people are in power.  However, putting that aside, I have to say that the year has been pretty good to me.

I think there have been two major milestones that happened to and for me in 2018.  The big thing was landing a full-time job, the first in my life.  I am still mere months into it, and I still don't quite know how I feel about it.  But getting benefits through my employer feels, for lack of a better word, right, and now that I have fled to normalcy, I should at least give normalcy some time to make sure it does or does not suit me.  The other big thing is working Super Bowl LII in February at U.S. Bank Stadium.  It is not as if it was a big position.  But I am, on a peripheral plane, still working in my dream field of sports, and I was able to be in the room where the biggest sporting event in the country was happening and not only did I not need to shell out thousands of dollars for a ticket, I got paid for it.  I am still hoping to work the Final Four in April, and that will be the second-biggest sporting event I will ever work.  But the biggest?  That's a true milestone.

What else?  I'm not sick, besides the time it burned when I peed and when I had a really bad sinus infection and cold.  I have been able to afford more trysts with my whores, even though I have lost a few really good ones this year, ***a* being the most tragic.  And even though the turn of the year will make me feel as though they are just about to come back -- because they are -- I am going to be by myself for six straight months while my parents are away enjoying their retirement, and that is freedom from a lifetime vise that still has ruined my life.

So, all in all, even though this marks a year closer to my death, 2018 was good to me.

---

Tonight, if the weather isn't too bad, I will be doing my usual New Year's Eve routine: Going down to my friends' place to celebrate with them and their kids.  I confirmed with them, and through Messenger the wife got back to me saying I could come over.  She said, "Nothing fancy, just the kids and (the husband's brother)."  It has always been just the kids and the husband's brother.  And you know what?  That is exactly what I look forward to for New Year's Eve.

Happy New Year, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment