Sunday, December 9, 2018

I Really Didn't Want To Know

I was able to walk into last (Saturday) night's regional final at Maturi without knowing the result of the Gophers match with Oregon.  I know about the marathon second Set they had, and once I saw that the Ducks blew the doors off the U., I turned away from any news source online that I could come across as they were scrolling the score.  Somehow, I remained blissfully unaware of what happened.

That was the plan.  I had a grave feeling they lost.  But if I had learned in the wrong moment concretely they had lost, I would have lost my shit.  So I didn't want to be in a foul mood going into work, let's just say.  No, I would delay knowledge of the result as much as possible -- all the way to going to the game after work.  At that point there would be nothing that would stop me from at least speculating on what happened.  I mean, if there was no traffic around the U., I figured they lost because no Gopher fans would show up to see Oregon play Nebraska.

And you know what?  Even though I parked my car and started walking just before the scheduled 5 p.m. start time, there was no traffic.  They lost, I thought to myself.  And that assumption was affirmed once I got my ticket scanned at Maturi.  I looked up to see that I had missed the first point of the match -- between Nebraska ... and Oregon.

And I muttered to myself, un-fucking-believable.

I'll have more on the U. of M. flailing volleyball squad, but let's just say that since they got upset, I am now very upset.  (Then again, I said the same thing on my last blog post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment