Friday, July 3, 2020

Holy Fucking Shit, I Just Realized I Made A Huge Fucking Mistake On My Taxes

Please forgive me, and please don't judge me: I didn't realize that the state of Minnesota gives a standard deduction on income.

I was making one final pass-through of all my returns because I plan on sending them later today.  And I was looking at my state tax return and I saw the words, in bold, standard deduction.  Wait, I said to myself -- states are allowed to give standard deductions, too?!

Holy shit, that changes everything.  I was going to pay $846 in state taxes (and then I was going to complain about it here).  With the amended calculation, I now owe only $28.

I swear this is the first time I realized that the state gives standard deductions.  That made my mind race back to last year's return; I didn't take my deduction then either, did I?  Thank Buddha I still have a copy of that, because I looked at my 2018 state return and nope, I totally overlooked the standard deduction I got then, too.  So now I need to file an amendment to claw back some of the money I gave to the state last year.  (Aside: I have made a mistake on my taxes before -- many years ago on the federal side.  I don't remember the details, but I was determined to go back to that past year and amend that return, but ... shit, I don't remember why I didn't do it.  Either I couldn't find my past return in storage so I couldn't find the details or I just got busy and/or lazy and I forgot.)

I pride myself on being able to do taxes on my own.  But a tax preparer sure as shit wouldn't miss out on something as obvious, and as important, as a standard deduction that means a savings of over $800.  The only thing I am glad of is that no one else knows -- well, besides all of you reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment