Thursday, July 16, 2020

Retraining Chafing

My evaluation in filing led my supervisor to have me retrain at this specific position.  Thought it would end today, but apparently I need to do it tomorrow.

I could not hide my annoyance with being retrained.  She told me I was working too slow.  I thought I was being thorough, and I didn't want to double back.  (I'm sorry I'm being skimpy with the details; I don't want people at work to know I'm talking about this.)  I should have not let my temper and stubbornness get the better of me when she diplomatically offered a compromise: If I get faster with the work, maybe I can go back doing some of the things I had been doing.  That's the trait of a leader, and I should have expressed better how ... OK I am with that.

But I didn't.  Not like I was sassing her or anything; we moved over to The Third Department, where I really did need to be trained in how to do these new tasks the right way, and I'm sure I was more responsive with my attitude then.  But still, I couldn't verbalize how frustrating I thought this retraining was.  I know I wasn't being knuckled under, but I couldn't help but feel like that.

Why is that?  Well, I have to go back to the times (I think I talked about this here in the past) I was in filing second shift and had the run of the place to myself in the evening.  I literally and figuratively had no one looking over my shoulder, and that was freedom and bliss.  And it didn't matter if I made a mistake, which I sure I make every time I work by myself.  But I didn't care, because I felt like I was my own boss.  And despite how, um, appropriate this re-training might be, I do not feel like I am my own boss.  And I have realized that I really, really don't like feeling anything even close to that.

Maybe I'll manage a smile tomorrow.  Well, through my mask, but you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment