Saturday, July 25, 2020

I Am Ashamed, And I Want Revenge (Oh, And There's A Story Surrounding This, Too)

Last night my sister and I had a talk.  It was about her best friend, someone whom she's known since they were 5.  They have differing viewpoints on a lot of political things, the latest being George Floyd.  Texts were exchanged between them, and between her friend and my brother-in-law (my sister's husband).  She asked me what I thought; I finally got around to talking to her last night.

I had a nit to pick with all three, but I generally thought all three had their hearts in the right place.  I thought that was that.  But my sister was not accepting that.  The differing thoughts between her and her best friend are really bothering her.  I understand that friends, even family, have been torn apart by politics and issues -- and feeling how I feel about the current state of the world, I accept that it needs to happen sometimes.  But I hoped that my sister and her friend would not throw away a 35-year relationship because of it.

So I asked why it was still bugging her, why she wouldn't let the issues behind her friend's texts to her rest until, frankly, the next racial incident that sets the country aflame.  My sister really felt as though she needs to bring up this issue with her.  Why?

Well, my sister isn't completely convinced she ever respected how our lives are in America.  We have been the victims of racism, and she believes that her best friend has white privilege over not completely understanding how hard it has been for this family sometimes.

And then ... you know, I need to be vague about what she said next.  Sorry.  What she said next is something only she can say -- it's not my story.  But she said she told me about it before, and (at this point I'm making this all about me, I confess) I have no idea it happened.  I am absolutely ashamed of myself for not remembering.  Concurrently, and I don't feel this way just because I forgot, I want revenge at the cunt who did this.  Because no one fucks with this family.

Oh, going back to my sister ... I think I now understand why she is affected by what her friend thinks.  I told my sister this goes to the core of who she is.  So she should bring it up, at a time when it's convenient for her and not for her friend.  And if she doesn't like what her friend says, then they're done.  Simple as that.

But going back to me ... I told her I still want that bitch's name.  And I also told her I am totally fucking hating myself for forgetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment