Tuesday, July 14, 2020

National Fry Day? What National Fry Day?

Late Sunday night I saw online that yesterday/Monday was National Fry Day.  Didn't think I was going to spend money on a Monday, but for National Fry Day, fuck yeah I was going to spend money on fries!

After reading an article on which fast food restaurants were offering which deals, I narrowed my choices down to two.  First, I would go to Kentucky Fried Chicken, where they have recently changed their fries to this new "Secret Recipe" (they are now spicing up their fries with those "13 herbs and spices"), and they're offering them for 30 cents with a separate purchase.  If that doesn't work -- hey, maybe franchisees aren't aware that it's National Fry Day -- I would go to the only Checkers I know in the state of Minnesota and buy one of their fries for a buck.

Went to KFC first -- drive-thrus for both, by the way.  "Hey, are you selling fries today for 30 cents with purchase?" I asked.  "No sir," the guy on the other end replied.  "OK, sorry to bother you," I said while leaving.

So I drive sort-of across town to Checkers and pull up.  The speaker at this drive-thru absolutely sucks.  Either the person helping me couldn't hear me or she's, uh, challenged.  Maybe both.  I eventually got around to asking, "Are you selling your fries for a buck today?"  And I think she needed to ask someone before she told me, "No."

So is it National Fry Day or is it not National Fry Day?

My Plan C was to just go home after that.  But I bought a Coke before I went to these places in anticipation of drinking it to wash down the fries, and I eventually caved and went to Taco Bell to buy their new (and messy) Grilled Cheese Burrito.  Tasted good, especially paired with my Coke.  But it was not the fries I was planning to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment