Thursday, July 23, 2020

Working With The Enemy

So there is an alumni club function that's happening in two Weeks that I don't want to do.  It's our annual party, but because of the pandemic it has gone virtual, which sucks because parties can't be on Zoom.  Moreover, it's going to be on a weekday, and I don't want to do this on a weekday.

The other reasons I hesitate doing this have to do with the new structure with the alumni association.  Somehow, the new organizational chart simultaneously vests more control to Los Angeles while at the same time asking volunteers to do gig work.  I talked about how this plan is a shitshow, and it has not stopped; there is still a lot of people who think this is a stupid idea and want to restore middle management-type control.

In the meantime, this online "party" is being conducted by the alumni association, and they have rules.  They were the ones who decided this was going to happen during a weekday afternoon.  Also, everyone who has planned on "going" to the "party" will be giving a speech that points out how our alma mater has helped us with our career choice.  I hate being told what to say, and moreover, given my gig job now, I don't think I can credibly tell incoming students that my degree has helped me in my job of administrative work without my nose growing several inches for each lie.

Unfortunately, I think I might need to lie to play the long game.  I am former middle management who still wants an alumni presence in the Twin Cities and thinks there won't be anyone who will step up and do what needs to be done to further my university's brand up here.  In order to continue to do that, I think I need to continue to curry favor with the alumni association.  That means doing this, even though it's a crap-ass idea and it sounds like no fun.  If I don't do it, I have no reason to believe that if things get back to normal next year and I plan on organizing an actual party where new freshmen can get together and hang, someone from L.A. will swoop in and go, "Who the hell are you to think you can plan this?"  I could be paranoid, but no-showing for this thing opens me up to accusations that I don't want to help my alma mater, and the newly-empowered alumni association could empower some other schmuck to do the things I still want to do.

So, if I do do this (and I'm still debating), I need to knuckle under and do this Zoom "party" according to the wishes of the alumni association.  I am in contact with one of its representatives, and after e-mailing back and forth, we are doing a Zoom to orient me on what I need to do for this "event" this evening.  I am talking to her even though I am part of this "rebellion," whereby I am still actively in solidarity with those who also have essentially been fired from our positions.  I worry that we are losing momentum, but we are in regular contact with each other, and we are still trying to get the word out about our predicament, including talking about this dumpster fire in the media and trying to send regular correspondence to officials at the university who have the capacity to fire people like the alumni relations liaison I will be speaking with tonight.  I wonder if she knows this.  If so, we are going to be cordial in a situation where we actually are anything but.  This will be awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment