Thursday, July 9, 2020

I Confess -- I Made It Awkward

I am finally going to do something about the empty helium tank we still have.  I bought it for the alumni club about, ah, a decade ago to blow up balloons for parties.  When we didn't need that anymore, Mother used it to blow up balloons for my niece.  And when it finally ran out, I thought I could just give it to Wal-Mart for them to recycle, like I did with the previous helium tank.  They wouldn't take it.  It's been sitting in my old bedroom for, like, two years now.

Have no idea if we can recycle it, but maybe I can take it to the county hazardous waste center?  So I called them and got a woman with a robotic, faintly polite voice.  She didn't say, "How can I help you?" which struck me as odd.  So I told her about the tank, and she asked me, "Which city?"  But I was listening to 5-3-4 on The Common Man on The Fan when she said that, so I asked her, "I'm sorry, did you ask me which state?"

"Which city," she replied.  I'm sure she was thinking, "Dumbass."

So I told her which city, which is weird since I thought the number was for my city's hazardous waste center.  Then she told me I could dump it there, or some other places ... and she didn't name any of those places, she just said that there were other places.  And I figured she was passive-aggressively trying to end the call.  OK, sorry I wasn't paying attention, I made it awkward, thank you, and I hope I hung up on her before she hung up on me.

Maybe that bitch should be fired, but maybe I should've paid attention, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment