Thursday, July 30, 2020

The Anti-Maskers!!!!

I was afraid this anti-masker bullshit was going to affect me personally.  Hearing it from douches waiting in line at Wal-Mart was, unfortunately, not going to be the only time.

I see it at work, but I want to start with Jersey Mike's on Monday.  Went there before work (was filling in at filing second shift) to grab something to eat during the day.  Jersey Mike's was open inside (I wanted to order online Sunday night but for some reason I could not order for Monday although I could for Tuesday and Wednesday, as if that Jersey Mike's was a museum and thus closed on Mondays).  There was a line but we were spaced apart, though I don't know if it was six feet.  The tables and chairs were stacked up against the wall to make certain that no one can eat inside.  It was busier than I liked, but I was ordering just fine and I was going to make it to work on time.

In that waystation after I ordered, while I was waiting to get my toppings and before paying for it, I heard the woman behind me order.  The person behind the counter then asked, "Do you have a mask?"  And I turned around.  The woman, who was holding who I assume was her daughter, did not have a mask, even though everyone around her did.  She said she didn't because, get this, she has a "medicle exemptshun."  Oh, shit.

The worker was standing her ground.  Apparently, if you don't wear a mask but don't have to due to medical exemptions, you can order, but you have to do so online.  That is what the worker wanted the woman to do.  "But I'm here, and I want to order now," she replied.  After a quick and escalating back-and-forth, the worker had enough and took the order of the person behind her.

And then that bitch went fucking nuts.  "Is this white supremacy or something?" is what she said, and I'm not fucking shitting you.  And she doubled down by saying, "Is this putting your knee on my neck?" and I was moving up to the cash register, and the cashier, who looks Black, just looked at her direction and went, "Nah, that's just ... no ... come on."

The worker had enough.  "Look, if you don't have a mask, and don't want to order outside, I'm going to call the police," and she walked over to the phone to make the call.  To which this crazy bitch replied, "OK, I'm going to call the police" -- and she did ... after she walked out.  And a little bit afterward I got my sandwich and chips and pop and I walked outside.  Leaving the parking lot I saw this Karen, clutching her baby with one arm and on the phone with her free hand ... and I also saw a police car coming into the parking lot.  I think I got out of there at just the right time.

---

I'm also seeing some resistance, although subtle, to masks at work.  We have had a mask mandate there for some time.  But I have noticed that a few people I work with in the departments I work with show their disdain for wearing them, and in particular the reason why they don't.  What I mean is, I have seen a few of them wear the mask underneath the nose.  That's because no one wants to smell their own breath.  I understand that, but obviously you are defeating the purpose of wearing a mask (and we get surgical ones) if you don't wear it properly.  Didn't matter to them; I saw one purposely pull hers down under her nose.  Hey, you get used to smelling your own breath.  I don't brush my teeth in the morning, and I don't mind my breath!

The higher-ups at work have had enough.  Yesterday we had an impromptu meeting where we were warned, in no uncertain terms, to pull the masks up to cover the nose as well as the mouth.  We'll see if the anti-maskers comply.  I am kind of shocked to see so many of my co-workers be such petty rebels like this, including a few that I didn't think would be so obstinate against it.  One of them is not that woman who pulled her mask down to free her nose.  I just get a Republican, let-'er-rip vibe from her.  She might quit.  And I might want her to quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment